What Will Occur on My First Periodontal Visit
Your dentist has found that your gums need special care and he has referred you to a periodontist. A periodontist is a dentist who specializes in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of diseases of the gum and jawbone and the placement of dental implants.
Periodontists are dentists with extensive advanced training in the treatment of periodontal disease and the surgical placement of dental implants to replace missing teeth. Periodontics is one of eight specialties recognized by the American Dental Association.
On your first visit, please arrive 15 minutes early to ensure the completion of all necessary forms. You may also obtain these forms from this website and complete them before you arrive. Depending on the type of examination, either isolated or comprehensive, you will spend 1 to 1 &1/2 hours with us. The fee for the initial examination and consultation is due at the appointment; we will help you to obtain insurance reimbursement. We respect your time, please assist us at the time of your initial visit to the office by providing the following information:
- your referral slip from your dentist and any x-rays taken within the last 12 months.
- a list of all medications you are currently taking
- if you have dental insurance, please bring any forms or insurance cards with you to the appointment
If you normally take antibiotic pre-medication for cleanings please pre-medicate for your examination. If you have a medical condition such as an artificial heart valve, diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse, history of endocarditis, rheumatic fever or heart murmur, or joint replacement, you may need to pre-medicate. If you are unsure, please contact your physician.
After reviewing your medical and dental history, and any x-rays from your dentist, Dr. Mortellaro will examine your mouth, teeth and gums. If you have not taken any x-rays recently or require x-rays in addition to those from your dentist, we can obtain them during this appointment.
- If you were referred for an isolated or limited examination, the nature and extent of your problem will be determined and treatment options will be discussed at this initial appointment.
- If you were referred for a comprehensive examination, Dr Mortellaro will review his findings along with your x-rays to reach a diagnosis and formulate a treatment plan. Depending on the complexity of your condition, a more extensive study of findings may be necessary and reviewed at a second treatment consult with Dr. Mortellaro.
During this initial visit Dr. Mortellaro will discuss your concerns and expectations with you, he will go over his present findings and suggest treatment that will be most beneficial to your dental health. We also encourage your spouse or a family member to come with you as you will also have the opportunity to discuss fees and financial arrangements with our Treatment/Business Coordinator.
We look forward to being a part of you dental health team and helping your dentist maintain your healthy smile.